Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Magic Bus

My father is a security guard at the new Las Vegas City Center construction site. We got a call last thursday that there had been some sort of accident. We didn't get the whole story for some hours later. We looked at a Las Vegas news website and discovered that several people were in critical condition. It turned out that my father just let his friend off for lunch and a tour bus lost control and careened in to my dad's guard shack. That was a rough 20 minutes staring at the monitor thinking of how to live my life without my father and even worse breaking it to my 30 year old sister with downs. Everything turned out to be better than expected and my father got away with a pelvis fractured in three places, requiring no surgery. We all flew down this weekend and he was in good spirits. I think the hardest part was listening to one of my father's co workers describe the accident and telling us that when he arrived on the scene my father was screaming in pain. I just don't know how to deal with that. It's hard to think about. Life is surreal at times, time slowing down, connection with things you wish weren't there. Sometimes reality is too uncomfortable to deal with so we make up a new one until the time is right, I just don't know when that time is.

1 comment:

Maudie Jane said...

Glad to hear your dad is doing okay, I'm sorry you guys had to go through that. We love you guys and hope things are settling down now.